Hidden Messages Scavenger Hunt
MALL SCAVENGER HUNT
To open teens' eyes to the positive and negative messages in media around them!
Multiple digital cameras (1 per group of 5 youth), powerpoint
Bring your youth to a local mall. Split them in teams of three or more. It's best to have multiple groups to get multiple perspectives. Give them a digital camera and have them take pictures of the following scavenger hunt items. Once done collect the cameras and upload the images to a slideshow (PowerPoint). Prepare a talk about the hidden messages in media. Use the images to engage the teams. It was fun for our group to have them guess what scavenger hunt item it is. This is a great time to discuss and debate what they see around them. It definitely opens their eyes to what they might not even be noticing, but they're seeing everyday!
Find an advertisement, billboard, or window display that:
- Represents a stereotype.
- Portrays women in a negative way.
- Portrays men in a negative way.
- Portrays women in a positive way.
- Portrays men in a positive way.
- Advertises a particular religion.
- Uses violence to advertise a product or service.
- Uses sex to sell a product or service.
- Makes you want to buy or use the product.
- Shows a food that makes you want to buy it and eat tons of it…over and over and over.
- Makes you uncomfortable or feel bad about yourself and/or others.
- Makes you feel good or positive about yourself and/or others.
- Uses a popular movie character, TV character, or famous person to sell a product that doesn’t involve their movie or TV show.